Home Blog Do You Know What Is Required With Building Regulations?

Do You Know What Is Required With Building Regulations?

When a customer comes to us and informs our team they want a conservatory or orangery constructed at their home one of the first things we do is inform them that the design must comply with current building regulations.

Edwardian Conservatory with Patio Doors

We don’t do it to try and put them off the idea, far from it, and in any case, we take care of everything to do with building regulations on their behalf. We do it to immediately get across the importance of staying within the rules; otherwise you can run into a host of difficulties.

If we were to build a non-complaint extension and the relevant planning department were to discover that it breaks building regulations they could at the very least demand that changes be made to the design. The worst case scenario is that they order a complete demolition of the structure and just imagine how agonising that would be for all concerned!

Hazlemere refuses to potentially leave customers in such limbo and takes every conservatory and orangery buyer through the rules, which are as follows:

  • At ground level and not exceed 30m2 floor area.
  • Glazed to satisfy the requirements of Approved Document K of Schedule 1.
  • Physically separated internally from the building it is attached to, for example, by a door.
  • Without sanitary appliances.
  • Not intended for year round habitable use.
  • Used to some extent for the propagation of plants.

When there is some uncertainty over whether a home extension satisfies building regulations or not, an Exempt Buildings Form will be obtained.

The entire plans for the extension should be outlined on this form before it is returned to the local authority so that they can assess these plans and decide if the extension falls within the guidelines. Once a decision has been reached, they will confirm their decision in writing. This written confirmation should be kept safe when the go-ahead is given as a homeowner will need to pass it on to any future occupier of their house. When the plans are turned down, an appeal can be made.

There’s also planning permission to think about

Building regulations and planning permission need to be treated separately because they’re two completely different things.

Unless you’re fortunate enough to have Permitted Development Rights, something you can read about here, there is a possibility that planning permission will also need to be sought before any building commences.

Hand over this hard work to Hazlemere

Book an appointment now to begin the conservatory / orangery buying process. It will be completely stress-free as we will take care of all building regulations and planning requirements.

Read what's going on at Hazlemere

How You Can Get A Replacement FENSA Certificate

If you watch much television, you may have spotted an advertising campaign by the Fenestration Self Assessment Scheme (FENSA). Their advert is designed to inform…

Read more

Enjoy A Beautifully Bright Summer In A Glass-To-Floor Conservatory

We live in hope that this summer will match, or even emulate, the gloriously hot summer we had last year. Even if it fails to…

Read more

Find Out Why Hazlemere Customers Are Happy Customers

Hazlemere wouldn’t have survived in this industry as long as it has if we didn’t continuously go all out to impress our customers with our…

Read more
Request A Quote Request a brochure Book Appointment

© 2019 Hazlemere Window Company Ltd.

Credit is subject to status and affordability. Terms and conditions apply. Finance on windows & doors is available to a maximum loan value of £50,000 with zero deposit. Finance on conservatories is available to a maximum loan value of £30,000 with a 15% deposit. £1,000 minimum order value applies to all finance options. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Hazlemere Window Company Limited at Cressex Business Park, Wellington Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP12 3PR (Financial Services Registered No. 796507) is a credit broker and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Credit provided by Hitachi Personal Finance, a trading style of Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Registered No. 704348).