Making sure the HIP pack contains a decent EPC

Whether you are thinking of buying or selling a home, it is wise to give some advanced thought to what you should look for/need in a HIPS pack. An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is an important document that is required. What are Energy Performance Certificates?

If you want to impress a prospective purchaser, and make your home as saleable as possible, it is wise to ensure your property is as highly energy efficient as possible, to enable your property to get a decent rating, making it a more attractive proposition than a property that will cost a fortune to heat and have a huge carbon footprint. If you want your home to have a decently rated Energy Performance Certificate, ensure that your boiler has been serviced and that it is an energy efficient as possible, your loft insulated, walls cavity filled and make sure your windows and doors have been double glazed with energy efficient glass.

Likewise, if you are looking to purchase a home, these energy saving measures will make your new property much more economic to run, whilst reducing your own carbon foorprint. As long as such important energy efficient home improvements have all been installed, the HIPS pack provided by the owner should contain an Energy Performance Certificate with an impressive rating.

The website explains that “EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving measures were put in place. The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of your home using a grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’. An ‘A’ rating is the most efficient, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is ‘D’. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.”

“An EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent. If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an EPC, you’ll need to contact an accredited domestic energy assessor. They will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate. The accreditation scheme makes sure that domestic energy assessors have the necessary skills and are able to carry out the survey to agreed standards.” Find out how to get an Energy Performance Certificate

Why you need a Home Information Pack (HIPS)

“A HIP is a set of documents that provides the buyer with key information on the property and must be provided by the seller or the seller’s agent. It is a legal requirement to have a HIP and you can’t market your property without one. The HIP lets buyers see important information about the property at the start of the process, free of charge. This means there is less chance of buyers becoming aware of any surprises at the end of the process. The HIP can help reduce delays and extra expense to the buyer and seller.” ( website)

For Freehold UK properties a HIP pack must contain a HIP index, the new Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ), a Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) or Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA), sustainability information (required for newly built homes), sale statement, evidence of title, standard searches (local authority and drainage and water). If the property is Leasehold, all the above is required in addition to a copy of the lease.

With saving energy an every increasing priority for governments due to the environmental benefits, it is wise to either buy an energy efficient home that has a low carbon footprint, which will save you money off your energy bills, or improve and invest in the energy efficiency of your existing home by making it as insulated as possible, reducing your carbon emmisions, which if and when you decide to sell, will give it a decent EPC and more likely to fetch its market value.


Our showrooms are our shop windows and we have invested heavily to create extensive displays that best showcase our large range of windows, doors and living spaces. You will receive a warm welcome, plus a proper coffee, and the choice to browse at your leisure without interruption.


Want to speak with an Advisor? Give us a call on 08000 825 825

Our friendly team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Back To Our Blog